Sunday, April 10, 2011

Collar-ito!


Hi everyone! It has been a really long time since I've blogged but I hope to keep blogging more and more. I have been busy with school and just everyday life, so more will be coming to this blog, I promise!

Anyway, let's go to the weird title of the post. It's a blend of the word collard and burrito! I'm so silly but I love combining names like that. :o)  Today I made a collar-ito with such fresh and yummy ingredients that I thought I would share it with you. Usually I just eat my salads in a bowl and with a fork, but today I decided to spice it up and I'm sure glad I did! It's a salad in a wrap! Not that it's very original but the ingredients in it give it that special kick.

Well, enough with the blabbering. Here goes!

Collar-ito
Ingredients:
2 collard leaves with the thick stems removed (not the whole vein!)

2 tablespoons of onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, chopped fine
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, chopped 
1 medium avocado, chopped
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
sea salt and pepper to taste

salad greens, sprouts, and veggies of your choice (I used a mix of spinach, mesclun mix, cabbage, some chopped zucchini, and chopped cauliflower)

1/2 banana sliced into 1/4 inch slices

Dressing of your choice (or tamari, braggs aminos, coconut aminos, or nama shoyu)

Directions:
Once you de-stem the collards, put them aside for folding up for later.

Place the onion, garlic, bell pepper, avocado, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl to mix and mash with your fork. Leave it a little chunky or smoother if you prefer. I had mine a tad chunky. Put this to the side while you prepare your wrap.

Place the wrap on your plate, with the inside of the collard leaf facing up. Start piling on some of the greens, sprouts, and veggies of your choice, maybe about a cup's worth. Then place half of the avocado mix on top of the greens and spread evenly across the length of the wrap. Then place half of the banana slices on top.

To fold, pull the flaps on the sides of the collard leaf onto the mixture inside the collard. Then start rolling the  wrap starting from the side facing towards you and roll and tuck in the ingredients as you roll, as if rolling a sushi roll, until all the wrap is rolled up. Cut in half cross-wise and dip into your favorite dressing or sauce! Yummers!! Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy the goodness!! :o)
I hope you have an oober day!

No comments:

Post a Comment